The RIE Educaring™ Approach
Developed by Magda Gerber, RIE’s Educaring™ Approach is based on a genuine and deep respect for infants and toddlers. Parents and teachers are encouraged to view them as competent participants in their own development — and to provide them with time and space for freedom of movement, expression and interactions.
The key to Educaring is for infants and adults to trust each other, problem-solve and embrace self-discovery. When allowed to unfold in their own way — and in their own time — children discover and inspire the best in themselves and others. This fosters an authentic sense of self, providing a foundation for secure relationships, enduring curiosity and lasting self-confidence.
Important principles of Educaring:
- Basic trust in the child as an initiator, explorer and self-learner
- An environment that is physically safe, cognitively challenging and emotionally nurturing
- Ample time for uninterrupted play
- Freedom to explore and interact with other infants
- Involvement in all care activities: the child becomes an active participant, rather than a passive one
- Sensitive observation of the child in order to understand his/her needs
- The development of discipline through consistency, along with clearly defined limits and expectations